Undergraduates eligible for Federal Work Study
102 Cherry Street, Ithaca
Based in part around interests, skills, and availability of the student, student will assist with a wide variety of aspects of presenting theatre and arts events in, with, and for our community. Such events include our upcoming gallery exhibition LOCAL FUTURITIES, and a collaborative festival of Ukrainian play readings, both of which will be made accessible to under-served communities through free and discounted ticketing programs and/or performances for school groups.
Students will also help with other performances and programming as makes up the Cherry’s season with a focus on community outreach. Students will assist with preparing and implementing programming and venue usage at our new second arts space and gallery, a mixed media space for community events as part of a new affordable housing complex. This will include regular gallery management responsibilities with docent capabilities. Classes, workshops and events in these spaces are specifically designed to be accessible to the residents of the building as well as to the broader community with an emphasis on access for typically under-served populations through scholarships and/or outreach.
Producing and Gallery duties may include any of the following, TBD:
- data entry and maintaining mailing lists
- assisting with ticketing for performances including sliding scale, comp tickets, box office
- assisting Director of Education and GM in the preparation (research, writing, printing and distribution) of educational and outreach materials designed to supplement shows and foster community engagement
- liaising with Cherry staff and visiting artists for space usage and programming
- managing gallery admissions including visitor transactions, event monitoring and docent outreach (requires some evening hours on specific dates, to be scheduled at beginning of semester).
- managing box office or concession stand for some Cherry performances (requires some evening hours on specific dates, to be scheduled at beginning of semester).
- assisting in the design and construction of scenic, props, and costumes for performances
- assisting in creation of marketing materials including writing and implementing social media and other community outreach.
- researching advertising options & liaising with advertising sources
- writing and sending press releases
- scheduling meetings, interviews, etc.
- light facilities maintenance (may include painting, tidying, light cleaning, moving chairs, etc)
- Assisting the director in rehearsal by taking notes, logging time, etc.